Re: Navigation Proposal: desktop.gnome.org

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joakim Ziegler" <joakim helixcode com>
Subject: Re: Navigation Proposal

> On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 10:50:49PM -0800, Michael Bernstein wrote:
> > Joakim Ziegler wrote:
>
> >> I like this. I'm a little worried about "Press", "News" and "Download"
not
> >> being top-level, but I guess they're prime candidates for "quick
links". Hm.
> >> Not bad at all. I have a better gut feeling about this structure than
my
> >> proposal, but I'd like to think about it a little to see if it can be
> >> improved further.
>
> > This is quite a bit closer to a purely topical heirarchy,
> > with action items (verbs) relegated to leaf nodes (except
> > for quick links/in-line links). I would suggest further
> > modifying the heirarchy by:
>
> > - Moving the roadmap under the 'About' category
> > - Creating 'GTK' and 'Gnome Desktop' sub headings under
> > 'Software'
> > - Moving the 'Development' category under 'Software'
> > - Moving 'Projects' under either 'Software' or 'Community'
>
> > This would leave us with four top level categories of
> > content:
>
> > * About GNOME
> > * GNOME Community
> > * GNOME Foundation
> > * GNOME Software
>
> > Which should be all encompassing, and fairly clear as to
> > where to look to find what you want. With only four top
> > level categories, these can be represented by a row of
> > buttons across the top, and second and third level
> > navigation can be accomplished with a right- or left-handed
> > vertical bar.
>
> While nice in theory, I think this falls into the "too much abstraction"
> trap. Yes, it's a really nicely topical, logical hierarchy, but people
expect
> stuff like "Development" to be a top level header.
>
> Remember, we're not aiming for the perfect categorization system here
(Dewey
> Decimal works really well, but it's hell to navigate for people who don't
> know it), we're aiming for something that's optimal to use. That means as
few
> clicks as possible to the stuff that people use the most.

I was just thinking...
Ok, GNOME is more than the desktop, so let's supose that I'm a GNOME's
desktop user, so it could be good, to let's say I can find everything I want
in desktop.gnome.org or just let's keep clear in mind what "GNOME" is and
how can it be divided. In fact honestly I thought it was just the desktop,
so I think a positioning statement whould help a lot to decide wich whould
be the final site's structure.