Re: Navigation Proposal

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Joakim Ziegler wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 03:38:28AM +0500, Ryan Muldoon wrote:
>
> > About
> >    	Press Kit
> > 	   Screenshots
> > 	   List of Contributors
> > Community
> > 	   IRC info
> > 	   GNOME roadmap
> > 	   Project of the Week
> > 	   Developer Interviews
> > 	   Mailing lists
> > 	   Events
> > 	   News

(snip)

> > Software
> > 	   Application List
> > 	   Bugzilla
> > 	   Download
>
> I like this. I'm a little worried about "Press", "News" and "Download" not
> being top-level, but I guess they're prime candidates for "quick links". Hm.
> Not bad at all. I have a better gut feeling about this structure than my
> proposal, but I'd like to think about it a little to see if it can be
> improved further.

I'd tend to agree on the News, but I've never seen downloads as being a
'primary' link off of the landing page.  I suppose access logs could
easilly prove me wrong, but putting it under software makes sense to me.
Wouldn't there be a brief news summary on the landing page anyway, which
could then provide the direct link to the news page?

The press kit also seems something that would intuitively go in an 'About'
section.  On many corporate (Not intending to draw a parallel of
course, just citing examples) sites I've seen, 'About' tends to be
a single link from the landing page, which is then broken down into
company info, investor relations, press kit, and whatever else.

Matt