Re: Design document [Draft 1]

> >> Get it
> >>
> >>   Describe the various ways to get and install GNOME. CVS, GNOME FTP servers,
> >>   Linux distributions which include GNOME, and Helix GNOME would all be
> >>   relevant pointers here. It's a matter of resources how much we want to
> >>   actually support all of this, but we should at least have instructions for
> >>   how to get, build and install GNOME from CVS and GNOME FTP.
>
> > All of this would be under "Download".  In my opinion, "Download" is a
> > stronger term than "Get it".  It is more formal and professional.
>
> Sure, this could be renamed. What are other people's opinion?

unless some naming convention is what we want to follow, 'Download' IMO
is
much more concise, widely accepted and understood.

> >> Software
>
> >>   A revamped, expanded version of the Appindex. Should let you search for
> >>      software in a variety of ways, including category, file types it'll read
> >>      and write (very practical for all the people who come onto IRC and say
> >>      "What GNOME program can read a .foo file?", and so on. Possibly also an
> >>   equivalence index, where people can say "I need something like Outlook",
> >>   and it'll take you to Evolution.
>
> > I suggest that this belongs primarily under "Download", with links in
> > "The Desktop" as well.
>
> Downloading the software is just a small part of what you do with it, though.
> And some of it also belongs in "Developer", since there will be libraries and
> development tools and whatnot. This spread suggests to me that it should be
> its own category.

maybe off a Download page, have links for each app that links to it's
appropriate
Appindex page?  Sourceforge-ish style, perhaps?

> >> Press
>
> >>   All the info members of the press would need to represent GNOME in a
> >>   correct manner. Journalists work under time constraints, so this is where
> >>   we have the chance to give them all the info they need in one neat package.
> >>   Should include a press kit (possibly in PDF format), a list of contact mail
> >>   addresses and phone numbers (I know, phone numbers are so 1985, but some
> >>   journalists prefer them), press photos (preferably, each press contact
> >>   listed should have a downloadable high-resolution photo for the press to
> >>   use when interviewing), representative screenshots (of the nice and simple
> >>   variety), and so on. The press kit itself should be a brief presentation of
> >>   GNOME, talking about the project history, the foundation, the current
> >>   status, what corporate backers there are, etc.
>
> > This should be under "Contact Us".
>
> Actually, if we were to put it somewhere, I'd put it in "About" (Which I'm
> 100% sure is a good idea to have as a top-level item, per the reasons above).

i vote About!  Press information should be in an About page, because an
About
section is a easily understood link that leads anyone to know more
'about' something.
the Press's main purpose is to inform the public 'about' things. :)

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

#	Mark Koopman - mark websidestory com
#	Software Engineer
#