Re: On colour

> Oops, I guess I didn't mean to suggest that we use ALL these colors on one page... ...I would heartily agree that no artist could/should work out a composition with even half of them!

That does feel a lot better.

> But thanks for bringing it up, because I'm wondering if you think that's a valid approach.

In general, yes. But i would choose a few primary colours first and work out the
variations as I designed the actual pages.

> I've been thinking that each major section should be a variation of one theme.

Good idea.

>But do you think GNOME should have our different sub-sites look different, or all the same?

Different, definately. But the _main_ difference should come from the fact that
the content is different, not from different visual profiles. Visual consistency
is a big problem in free software design, the value of branding and placing
products in a 'family' is vastly underrated. Isn't one of the main tasks of this
list to make all the Gnome web sites use the same visual profile?

> I'll also say that there are more than just two theories about what constitutes "good" color composition, although the two you mention are the most common.

Certainly. It just didn't seem to me like much of any theory was used at all,
with colours from all across the spectrum without priorities ;). I
narrowmindedly expected people on this list only to be some variation of
perl-hacker/programmer and in my experience they never know anything about
(perceptive) colour-theory.

I'm not that good with colour anyway, I can never choose.

>   http://www.kitchen-emporium.com/colour.html

Thanks.

> I'm particularly fond of neutral, but that's because I'm an architect.

Doesn't really surprise me, given those colours.

> Wow, it's tough to discuss this stuff in writing! Thanks for bearing with me.

It is yes, even tougher having to do it in second-language English.

Ulf Pettersson