Re: Design document [Draft 1]

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 11:37:10PM -0600, Shawn T Amundson wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 11:56:57AM -0600, Joakim Ziegler wrote:

> I suggest the site be designed in such a manner that this is dynamic
> and can be changed easily.  Think of having things like a Christmas or
> Halloween theme.  (Ok, these are poor cultural examples, but you get
> what I'm saying.)  Or maybe changing the website "theme" in for GNOME
> 2.0.

This is fairly easy no matter what, I think, if we use PHP or such for
generating the pages. Headers and footers for the site would just be function
calls, etc.

> Because of the long list of things that might potentially be in the
> secondary menu, I suggest a more standard horizontal toplevel with
> the vertical secondary.

> A dual vertical would be difficult to do properly without using
> graphical text.

> In addition, if the site is in that big table, you can flip flop
> between the differenty styles at will.  I think the vertical one
> will be easier initially.

I think we should let this wait until we've figured out the navigational
structure. With the one I proposed, the number of items on the second level
wouldn't be that high, while with your proposal, it would be.

>> 5. Localization

>> We've amply discussed this. I'm going to write a section on it, but I believe
>> it's not vital right now, and I really want to just get this document out
>> there.

> Perhaps someone who has strong opinions supporting Localization should write
> a draft of this section.  I also believe it is not important at this time, but
> it will quickly become important when implementation eventually begins.

Yes, that would be great. Any takers?

>> 6. Technology

>> Technology should be decided after a few days of discussion and fleshing out
>> of the sections above.

> I suggest stating it is tenatively PHP with mySQL, because it sounds
> like that's what most people are thinking.  Obviously the group as a
> whole won't decide this: the implementors and maintainers of the site
> will determine it.

I agree. Duly noted for the next draft.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Helix Code web monkey - joakim helixcode com - Radagast IRC
      FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer