Per-server icons for an AFP gnome-vfs2 module

I'm writing a gnome-vfs method to support the Apple Filing Protocol,
which is a simple network protocol used to share files over TCP and is
used heavily by OSX.  The work is based on afpfs-ng.

AFP servers can have different icons, and you can query the server
over the network to get it.  I'd like to use this generated icon in my
open, get_file_info, do_read_directory etc. callbacks so that it gets
displayed instead of just the same icon.  Note that the icon can be
different for different servers.

How would I go about doing this?  I see some examples (like
smb-method.c) that set the mime type to application/x-desktop, which
then refers to an on-disk icon.  But these icons aren't on disk.

I'm sure I'll have lots of other questions as I get into this more,
like icons in resource forks, mouse-over comments, etc.

Thanks.

- Alex