Re: Per-server icons for an AFP gnome-vfs2 module

Hey Alex,

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 15:51 -0400, Alex deVries wrote:
> I'm writing a gnome-vfs method to support the Apple Filing Protocol,
> which is a simple network protocol used to share files over TCP and is
> used heavily by OSX.  The work is based on afpfs-ng.
I highly recommend you write a gvfs module not a gnome-vfs one since we
will be obsoleting gnome-vfs soon (hopefuully GNOME 2.22).

> AFP servers can have different icons, and you can query the server
> over the network to get it.  I'd like to use this generated icon in my
> open, get_file_info, do_read_directory etc. callbacks so that it gets
> displayed instead of just the same icon.  Note that the icon can be
> different for different servers.
I am not sure that can at all work with gnome-vfs the way you want it
but there might be a chance to do that in gvfs which is way more
flexible. Alex Larsson would know better. Alex?

> I'm sure I'll have lots of other questions as I get into this more,
> like icons in resource forks, mouse-over comments, etc.
Feel free to write again or even better join #nautilus on irc.gimp.org
and just go ahead and ask.

Cheers,
Christian