Re: VFS integration with kernel mounts

I believe I understand all of your points then. I'm mostly just
interested in providing something "useful" to application developers so
they can develop applications that are more "useful" to users.

Persistent bookmarks to removable devices. I think a lot of people would
like to solve this.

The ability for those bookmarks to prompt you to insert the proper
media, and if you are unable to, fail gracefully in the application. I
think this adds polish.

I do recognize of course that what we are talking about are actually
just module implementations on the core of GVFS. If *I* wanted to come
up with a media://uuid/ schema, I certainly could. Nevertheless, I want
to solicit input from the major parties involved.

Why doesn't HAL use UUIDs? I'd say probably because up until now there
was no abstraction to turn those UUIDs into usefully understandable
paths for the user. If you plug in a USB disk and open Nautilus, you see
the /media/usbdisk-1 path. They needed to make that look right and
didn't want to write a next generation VFS system like you are doing. I
could be wrong however.

It's worth noting that OS X doesn't mount with UUIDs either. They
generate a session-unique value for the mount point, which looks
resonable. They encapsulate access to this mount point in an API which
understands the uniqueness of a device.

I'd like to point out that I'm not advocating UUIDs at all, actually.
I'm advocating an abstraction for mounting and browsing removable
devices which correspond to kernel VFS paths. It just so happens UUIDs
are the first thing that came to mind. The GVFS idea of explicitly
"mounting" a resource offers us an extremely good place to add such UI
hooks. We've never had these before. There was no real good way to auto
mount kernel VFS paths, and allow the UI to request media, so it's never
been possible.

Are GFile instances extensible? Can a writer of a GVFS module cause
custom URI prefixes to return custom GFile implementations? That is
really the only thing standing in the way of such an idea being
implemented by me or others. To test out my idea, I would need to return
a GLocalAndDaemonFile instance which could return NOT_MOUNTED when it
wasn't mounted. Can I implement both mounting and local file access
through a single GFile subtype? Or do GDaemonFiles *only* support
mounting (mounting requiring communication with a daemon of some sort?)
I think this is the only area where GVFS design decisions could
potentially effect implementing this. As long as you can have a GFile
which does both local access and manages mounting, we're good.