Re: Adding new functionality to the VFS

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 19:07 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> If it isn't a method of storage, why exactly should you be accessing it
> as if it were? And if you are accessing as if it were, why would you
> want to treat it significantly different than a normal storage volume?
>
> It seems to me that the proper way to "sync" with the device, would be
> through a synchronization API like multisync or whatever it is called
> now, rather than trying to make it act like a filesystem.

Think of it as a server offering an NFS share: it's a different
computer, but it offers you access to its filesystem. You can
communicate with it in other ways too (via HTTP, for example). The same
goes here: there IS a special synchronization API, but sometimes a user
wants to access the device's filesystem directly -- perhaps to transfer
a new album or movie to it, or anything like that. The SynCE project
provides a GnomeVFS module for accessing the device's file system
(synce://), I'm merely talking about UI aesthetics here.
--
Yaron Tausky <decaycell gmail com>