Adding new functionality to the VFS

Hi,

Recently I started hacking a bit on integrating PDAs into GNOME, and I
noticed that the VFS has three of connections it recognizes: drives,
volumes and servers. Drives and volumes are detected by fstab/mtab
monitoring, while servers can be connected by any proccess invoking the
gnome_vfs_connect_to_server API function.
This leaves other types of devices neglected: in this case, a PDA is not
a volume but nor is it a server (even though you use a serial connection
to communicate with it). Is there any solution currently? If not,
perhaps we should add a new API for devices...
I though I'd better ask on the list first. :-)
--
Yaron Tausky <decaycell gmail com>