Re: The status of Freedesktop.org MIME support?

Christophe Fergeau wrote:
- If I run update-mime-database ~/.local/share/mime, gnome-vfs doesn't detect changes until I restart the entire application (Nautilus)!

Yeah, that's something I would have expected.

Will this change in the future? In my opinion it is unacceptable to expect users to restart Nautilus every time an app has installed a new MIME type.

As far as I know, MIME sniffing works, see for example the problems we
had with .xls files being identified as .doc files because the .doc
sniffing pattern was buggy. Nautilus only sniffs a file when you click
on it though (and if it's local). Maybe that's what you are seeing ?

To be more specific: gnome-vfs "prefers" to use /etc/gnome-vfs-mime-magic. I have a MIME file that looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<mime-info xmlns="http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info";>
  <mime-type type="application/x-mytest">
    <comment>Testing MIME override</comment>
    <magic priority="51">
      <match type="string" value="\x89PNG" offset="0"/>
    </magic>
    <glob pattern="*.png"/>
  </mime-type>
</mime-info>

I put this in ~/.local/share/mime/packages, run update-mime-database ~/.local/share/mime and restart Nautilus. Nautilus detects *.png files are application/x-mytest... until you click on them. Then they change back to image/png.

I fiddled with the priority number but there is *no way* to override gnome-vfs-mime-magic.