Re: use xml for modules.conf ?

On 4 Feb 2003, Bradford Hovinen wrote:

> > > This is an interesting point, as missed sftp: support in nautilus a few
> > > weeks ago and started looking into how to do it. Now I wondered about that
> > > it seems that smb: is simply working by installing the libsmb module in
> > > gnome-vfs-extras while sftp: seems to be supported in gnome-vfs but does
> > > not work out-of-the-box in nautilus. Where am I wrong? Would I need to
> > > hack on nautilus to get foo: support, or is it enough to create an
> > > gnome-vfs-module foo?
> >
> > Bradford started a sftp module a while ago:
> > http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bghovinen/gnome-vfs-sftp-0.1.0.tar.gz
> >
> > We should probably look at it for possible inclusion now.
> >
> > gnome-vfs already supports "ssh:", but its unstable and has problems
> > uploading.
>
> On that note, I put up an updated version that fixes several bugs a
> couple of weeks back:
> http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bghovinen/gnome-vfs-sftp-0.1.1.tar.gz
>
> There are one or two pending issues that I know of; when I fix them I'll
> put out 0.1.2.

I looked a bit at this now, and in general it looks good.

Comments:

Instead of #ifdef VFS_BIG_ENDIAN use G_BYTE_ORDER

in launch_ssh() use g_spawn_async_with_pipes instead. It has better error
reporting and stuff.

One perhaps major problem is the OpenSSH license:

/*
 * Copyright (c) 2001 Markus Friedl.  All rights reserved.
 *
 * are met:
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
 * OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.
 * IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
 * INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT
 * NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
 * DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
 * THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
 * (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF
 * THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
 */

Is that actually compatible with the LGPL?

He's a suicidal umbrella-wielding paranormal investigator on the edge. She's a
radical bisexual mermaid with a song in her heart and a spring in her step.
They fight crime!