Re: gnome-system-log -- searching

I just committed the multiple windows patch. I have removed the
"Switch log" option which made no sense anymore, and the Close All
Logs option.

> About the monitor function: why not just choose logs using the file
> chooser? another idea would be to get rid of the tabs, and use a single
> tree view, prefixing each entry with the name of the log that it is from
> (this may not be a better choice, however).
> Also, do logs open in the conventional way update when changes are made
> to the file?
For now I have disabled the "monitor" option -- it won't work nicely
with the new multiple windows thing. What I was thinking : make the
"monitor" option a toggle menu item, and just monitor the opened log
when the option is selected. Don't monitor anything when it's not
selected. And that's it. Remove the other "monitor" window and
dialogs...

I think eventually about adding a "new tab" option to the log viewer,
so the functionality of the previous "monitor window" would be kept
intact.

> I have no idea how libgnomesu works, but the one thing we may want to
> consider is any distributions that have no root user (ie Ubuntu), and
> use sudo instead. currently Ubuntu is just running the g-s-t programs
> under gksudo, so we may not really have to worry about it, or worry
> about it as much as g-s-t does.
Unfortunately I'm not able to install ubuntu on my machine (I have
some legacy programs I need to keep running for work). I'm gonna look
at gksudo.

> Just a few more ideas about searching:
> The redhat log viewer uses filtering rather than searching, ie you enter
> a term in and the display of the log is replaced with entries from the
> log that match your results.
I think both would be good, regular searching and filtering.
Especially filtering + monitoring could be really useful for admins
and stuff.

Thanks for all the feedback, it's really helpful.
Cheers
Vincent