Re: gnome-system-log -- searching

> > By the way, I just committed a large rewrite of gnome-system-log,
> > which should make it easier to do things like open multiple windows
> > and tabs and stuff. Of course, a large number of bugs must have crept
> > in somehow, so testing would be nice.
> >

> That's one of the features on my wishlist; a g-s-l window for each open
> log. Then we can get all spatial and save the window size and position,
> or something.

Well with these changes it was quite easy to add multiple-windows - I
have attached a patch that does just that.
However, gnome-system-log was written to open multiple logs in a
single window, and to accomodate that idea it had to use
unconventional ideas : internally, there's a list of "open logs" and
you can switch to next log in that list using the "Switch log" menu
option. However the list itself do not appear in the interface (except
in the "monitor" dialog).
It is very difficult to add multiple windows and keep this idea of log
list. It means that each opened window can display any of the open
logs, so we have to pay attention to lots of weird configurations (ie
you have the same log open in two windows, if you close the log in one
window, the log should disappear from the other window). The patch I
attached seems to work but I can't be sure I have found all the weird
things that can happen.

That's why I'd like to ask you guys, what do you think of removing the
"switch log" option ? You would still be able to open several logs,
but each log would have its own window, and vice-versa. The only
difference would be that you would not be able to open several logs in
the same window anymore.

> I don't know if it would make sense to put g-s-l in g-s-t, since the
> current g-s-t utils tend to affect a change on the system. But I'm all
> for getting some kinda support for getting the right access levels to
> look at a log file, and that would be distro (and possibly per-log?)
> dependant.
I'll try to contact the gnome-system-tools guys to see if there's
something we can reuse there. There's still libgnomesu, but it's not
really official.

Cheers
Vincent