Re: Abuse of GNOME "foot" logo by UK Government

On 17/03/2008, Aidan Delaney <aidan delaney gmail com> wrote:
> Michael et al,
> On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 15:52 +0000, Michael Wood wrote:
> > > Of course, the video is massively misleading... CO2 emissions from
> > > electricity have no relation to how much consumers use; it's the
> > > fossil fuel burning to keep the National Grid full that generates
> > > these emissions.
> I think the commentary in this video makes that quite clear.
>
> > Sorry, I wouldn't recognise it as the gnome logo; it's the wrong shape
> > and also it is clear that it is part of a logo in it's own right.
> I have to disagree with you here. The Gnome logo is a left footprint
> stylised as a Latin capital G. The footprint in the C02 logo is a right
> footprint. Ordinarily I would think that the use of the C02 logo is
> distinguishable from the Gnome logo, however when related to computers
> and computing equipment I'd find it hard to distinguish.
>
> One has to remember that trademarks must be defended. Whilst I don't
> think that this is a major issue, maybe we should bring it to the
> attention of the Gnome board. They might then be able to send an
> non-legal letter to the department in question advising them that the
> Gnome logo is trademarked and used in the area of computing.
>
> --
> Aidan

Aidan, sounds like a good compromise to me. I don't know what made me
think "GNOME logo" instantly the first time I watched the video-
perhaps a vested desire to sue UK Gov't for their closeted climate
monsters of mass destruction that never materialised? Hopefully, Gov't
will sue themselves once they fail to meet the EU's impossible climate
change targets... or we can vote for someone better.