Re: Helping prepare a user group budget for 2007

Thomas Wood wrote:
On 6 Jan 2007, at 16:45, Dave Neary wrote:
[...]
The first is to make sure that at least one person representing your
user group is subscribed to the gugmasters-list gnome org mailing list -
which is the place where collaboration between several user groups, and
interaction from the foundation to the user groups will happen. You can
do that at http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gugmasters-list

Could someone on the gnome-uk list volunteer to do this? I'm pretty tied up with Guadec and other stuff at the moment.

I can do this if no-one else steps up. I'm a relative newcomer to gnome-uk but I've been lurking on the list for a few months now and have been looking to be more actively involved. Please poke me if there's anything needing to be done in that respect.

The second request is that you write to the list with your plans for
theh year, and your likely requirements of help from the foundation (be
it material help like shipping t-shirts, or financial help to pay for
travel expenses for a speaker, or your need to embezzle funds to buy
that new car). Also, if you have ideas of things that we should be
spending money on for user groups in general, I would love to have your
input.

We've obviously got Guadec here this year, but if anyone wants to organise gnome related speakers or t-shirts for a lug or something, it looks like the foundation should be able to help out. Perhaps this is something we could advertise to lugs as a service? Does any one think their local lug might be interested in hearing someone talk about gnome, or ordering some gnome merchandise?

I think that my local LUGS (Sheffield, maybe Staffs) may be interested in a talk on GNOME. I know Hants lug are after more guest speakers too. I'm not sure what topics specifically, maybe topics like "Getting involved with gnome", "Developing Gnome/GTK apps", "Where is GNOME headed?" would be good, though I'm sure you can think of more.

If anyone is thinking of giving a talk (bit of pre-GUADEC practice maybe?) Getting in touch with their local lug [0] would be useful, or if you're willing to travel, mailing the lugmasters list.

[0] http://lug.org.uk/lugs/index.php