Re: Hyphen, space or neither?

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 09:54, "David Lodge" <dave cirt net> wrote:
> So in this case, we can rule "plugin", "login" etc. as having become fixed
> over time to be non-space (as nouns at least) and as there are no
> pronunciation difficulties a hyphen is not required.
>
> In terms of invented words (that people like to use, e.g. the use of
> ellipisize [sic] in gtk+), if we can't avoid the new word, we should apply
> the simple test to it (if used as a noun):
> * Is it a common term? (= one word)
> * Does it have pronunciation difficulties, or may cause confusion out of
> context (= hypenated)
> * Otherwise (= spaced)
>
> In terms of use as a verb I'd agree with Toby, but I feel that we are
> pandering to the American English tendency to turn nouns into verbs on a
> regular basis: log in should be treated as the verb "log" and the
> preposition "in", rather than the whole thing as a verb.

I have recently discovered that the Collins Dictionary uses 'log in' and 'set
up' as verbs, but 'login' and 'setup' as nouns:

http://www.collins.co.uk/wordexchange/Sections/DicSrchRsult.aspx?word=log+in
http://www.collins.co.uk/wordexchange/Sections/DicSrchRsult.aspx?word=set+up

Looking at other popular terms in the world of computing, Collins
treats 'start up' as a verb but 'start-up' as an adjective/noun. The same
rule applies to 'plug in', 'pop up' and 'mark up'.

http://www.collins.co.uk/wordexchange/Sections/DicSrchRsult.aspx?word=start+up
http://www.collins.co.uk/wordexchange/Sections/DicSrchRsult.aspx?word=plug+in
http://www.collins.co.uk/wordexchange/Sections/DicSrchRsult.aspx?word=pop+up
http://www.collins.co.uk/wordexchange/Sections/DicSrchRsult.aspx?word=mark+up

I propose that these spellings become official for the GNOME en_GB
translation. If there are no objections, I'll be moving to make this an
official policy in Ubuntu en_GB.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://www.dhanapalan.com/yama.asc

"It is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of computers by the
sense of accomplishment you get from getting them to work at all."
 - Douglas Adams