Re: GUADEC Travel to BCN

On Fri, May 05, 2006 09:15:58AM +0100, Paul Sladen wrote:
> On Thu, 4 May 2006, Thomas Wood wrote:
> > I am currently wondering how to get to Barcelona for GUADEC this year.
>
> My *favourite* way to get to Barcelona, which I've yet to do, would be:
>
>   Eurostar London->Paris
>   Overnight Sleeper ('TrenHotel') Paris->Barcelona.
>   http://www.spanish-rail.co.uk/trains/international.html#Elipsos
>
> This allows you to leave London after work and arrive in the middle of
> Barcelona with the benefit of a good nights sleep early the next morning.

I recently stumbled across http://www.seat61.com/ and its copious
detail about non-air travel from the UK to elsewhere. The London-
Europe information starts at http://www.seat61.com/Europe.htm and
http://www.seat61.com/Spain.htm looks worth a read too.

There are lots of useful hints like when it is cheaper to book two
legs of a journey separately and recommended connection times in
different places. Oh, and I hope Paul knows about this (from that
site) -- "Bikes are not carried (other than in bike bags) on the
Paris-Spain 'trainhotels'"

Telsa