Re: GUADEC 2007 in the UK?

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 22:45 +0000, Milen Dzhumerov wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I just wanted to say that I'm really for it :) I'm a bit disappointed
> that you just ruled out London since I think that's the most convenient
> place for a _lot_(IMHO) of people(including me). Going up north involves
>  quite a bit of pain(hotels/other stuff) if you're living south east. I
> also do understand that you cannot please everyone and there will be
> always people not happy with the situation. Anyway, if it's going to be
> in the SE/London area I'm able to give a hand with whatever I can. If
> it's somewhere else I'd probably go despite of the location :) Let's roll

I live in the South East (Surrey to be precise), and I still think that
a decently connected city up North would be a better idea. The fact that
it's not convenient to you is not really relevant (shame if you couldn't
come though) if that means that we can get 30 people from countries with
lower incomes.

The people in the Greater London, Cambridge, or Surrey would be the
first to admit that the area is too expensive for a large portion of the
travelling hackers.

I paid 50 quid for a room with 2 single beds in a (shite) hotel in
Wolverhampton for the LUG Radio Live. You can barely get a B&B in London
for that much. (I must note that I also stayed in the 90 quid/night
nuptial suit in Barnsley, so there's still decent rooms to be had ;)

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>