Re: GUADEC 2007 in the UK?

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 12:57 +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:
> *** If you would be interested in GUADEC being held in the UK in 2007
> please respond to this e-mail! ***

Definitely, it would be great.

I have some small experience with events, though not the 500+ you're
talking about.

AFFS have held a number of events in Birmingham pretty successfully:
much lower audiences, but I can confirm the venues are there and are
pretty cheap. Also, if you're holding it when Universities are closed,
many often host conferences at somewhat reasonable rates.

There are certainly people around who are willing to sponsor events,
although sponsorship outside London may be harder. Although I agree with
other posters about our capital (esp. wrt. the costs of actually staying
in London), hosting costs and other direct costs aren't as much as you
might think. I wouldn't be quick to discount London, though I would
certainly enthusiastically put forward Birmingham (which is a *lovely*
city centre now, really impressive) and probably also Manchester (though
I'm not sure what the situation with international flights dictates).

Cheers,

Alex.