Re: finale touches to gtk-engines/gnome-themes before 2.20 release

On Sun, 2007-09-09 at 15:11 +0200, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> it seems to me there are a couple of tooltips related issue in GNOME
> themes for 2.20 release. It could be good try to fix them.
>
> 1. New Appearance capplet allow you to customize tooltips color (BG and
> FG)
>
>         Open Appearance capplet, go to Theme tab, open Details dialog,
>         go to Color tab: here are 2 color selectors for background and
>         foreground color of tooltips. Unfortunately those selectory
>         seems to be grayed for all default GNOME themes.
>
>         I suspect we should update all gtkrc files in order to "unlock"
>         those buttons. From
>         gnome-c-c/capplets/appearace/appearace-style.c:
>
>                 static const gchar *symbolic_names[NUM_SYMBOLIC_COLORS]
>                 = {
>                   "fg_color", "bg_color",
>                   "text_color", "base_color",
>                   "selected_fg_color", "selected_bg_color",
>                   "tooltip_fg_color", "tooltip_bg_color"
>                 };

That would be great, it should not be too much work but needs to be done
ASAP. The only theme currently using it is Clearlooks. All other themes
are not yet updated but really should be. I can work on this, but it
would be great if someone could help. (It is a relative simple change,
but needs to be done and tested for every theme.)

> 2. New and old GTK+ tooltips should have the same appearance
>
>         Another issue related to all gtkrc (maybe). GTK+ have updated
>         the code for tooltips in 2.12 release. If I'm right this means
>         that we have 2 different widgets for tooltips, the old one and
>         the new one.
>
>         I suspect that gtkrc files shipped with gnome-themes and
>         gtk-engines are providing rules only for new tooltips widget.
>
>         Is I said, I suspect this, but I haven't checked this in code or
>         in desktop usage. Any more info?

This should not be an issue, from a theming point of view the new
tooltips API is pretty much the same. (There was one issue I know of
with the border width, but that is fixed #467003).

Benjamin