Re: Recolorable themes

On 9 Dec 2006, at 05:13, Matthias Clasen wrote:

[...]
Would it be possible for themes to be able to suggest alternate named
schemes?

Thats probably something to be solved between the yet-to-be written
color capplet and the meta-theme file.

I'm still trying to think about how to solve this one. Would adding an
xml file to the gtk+-2.0 directory have any adverse ramifications?

Not as far as GTK+ is concerned. How will these xml files relate to the
existing metatheme desktop files ? Would it be easier to just add the
colors to these files instead ?

This had been my first thought as well. However, I wanted to associate colour schemes to a particular GTK+ theme, rather than to the metatheme.

For GNOME 2.18 however, the only feature that will be available to the user is saving their local custom colour schemes. At the moment, there are several ways this could be implemented. We can save the schemes to keys in gconf or we can save the schemes to a file. For saving to a file, it could be an xml or .desktop format file in $HOME/.gnome2/colour_schemes. I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both methods, so I would like to know if anyone has any strong opinions either way.

-Thomas