Re: SVG icons for HighContrast theme

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 19:52 +0300, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 17:03 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> > Vaguely related, I'd personally like the onus of providing high contrast
> > icons to move to the applications.  They're probably the only themes
> > where every possible icon on the desktop really needs to be catered for,
> > and it's ridiculous to try and do that centrally.  Applications are
> > allowed to install icons into the hicolor theme; if we're really taking
> > accessibility seriously, I believe the high contrast themes should have
> > a similar status to hicolor.
>
> Yeah. If an application calls itself "accessible", having high contrast
> icons could be one of the requirements. Distributing the icons in the
> apps themselves sounds like a way to avoid lagging the high contrast
> theme behind the desktop.

Agreed. If we want to take action on this though, we'll need to disperse
the icon theme out to all the individual projects and incorporate them
into their build and install procedures. We would also have to make sure
all new projects include a high contrast icon. The difficult part would
be keeping tabs on existing projects to make sure they are always
installing a high contrast version of their icons. Maybe it would be
possible to build a script to check the current release modules and make
sure they include a high contrast icon?

-Thomas