Re: Yet Another Theme Mockup

On 15 Sep 2004, at 12:08 pm, Samuel Abels wrote:

Hi,

I was playing around with a mockup and now I am wondering whether there
is a way to actually have GTK2 draw that thing ;).

http://debain.org/stuff/mockup.png

I am trying to do that without using the pixmap engine. (Well, except
for the buttons, which would still need to be taken from a pixmap).
Using (though unfinished) the pixmap engine this was /really/ slow, that
is like >1 second to switch between notebook tabs.

The pixmap engine has never been optimised and is rather neglected as I understand it, which is why there are so many performance issues with it. The best option you have if you don't want to use the pixmap engine is to try and use the Smooth engine (which is highly configurable) to approximate your ideas.

There is a homoeopathic amount of gradient at all backgrounds.
Another particularly important thing is the notebook's drop-shadow and
the treeview's in-shadow. Is there a way to do this without the
pixmap-engine?

Not unless you write your own engine.

Thirdly, is there a way to have GTK draw the notebook tabs with only the
leftmost and rightmost tabs rounded?

Probably not, I don't think there is any notification for GTK engines to determine if the tab is the last or first.

Then, is it possible to draw the rounded listview/notebook corners?

And finally, is there a way to draw a continuous background across a
window like this?:

http://debain.org/stuff/mockup2.png

You could probably set the window background, but making a metacity theme that exactly lines up would be tricky. Also, most windows do not have a single background like that, and would have a other controls on top which would end up making it just look ugly. Too much interest on the background of a window is probably not a good idea from a usability point of view.

Some nice ideas, but mostly impractical with the current GTK theming architecture. :-)

-Thomas