Re: [PROPOSAL] gnome-fs-regular

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 14:46, Jakub Steiner wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 13:13, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> >       * shadow (should) follows the table prospective
>
> That makes little sense to me. A paper would rarely stand up like that

True, but folders too ;-) Note that current gnome-folder is using a
similar shadow (IMHO Industrial one seem more cool and realistic, but
there are more pixels :-P)

OK, it's not realistic, but it can add consistence to the Desktop and
it's the HIG suggestion...

> >       * no tray holes (are they needed?)
>
> Against the HIG I always thought adding detail is good. Maybe it's not.

Well, it's really cool in old fs-regular-72 and fs-regular-96, but I
can't see any good reason to keep it in at 48x48: I'm not saying
"details are evil", but "this detail is unuseful".

Or am I totally wrong and it's used for text related MIME?

> > Troubles:
> >       * we need to rebuild all mime icons using this one as base
> >         (removing extension label as HIG said?)
>
> Because we'll be redoing all this, I'd rather go for doing 32x32
> mime-emblems, and use imagemagick or something to overlay it on a
> document base, eventually having nautilus do that. I'll think about it
> and start doing that and file appropriate bugs.

Do you mean, conceptually, something like Gorilla icons, using, i.e. a
gnome-globe-32.png over gnome-fs-regular.png to have
gnome-mime-text-html (see attach)?

I vote for it, but I'm not so sure that it should be managed via some
code (you have to use in all apps that needs mime icon: search tool,
file roller, eventually file selector and so on..)

> > To use a 48x52 icon is an HIG violation? If don't should we build a
> > 48x52 folder icon?
>
> Tuomas introduced the weird size because the text label (another bad
> decision) wouldn't fit. It should be 48x48.

If I remember well old Eazel icons was 48x52 too, so Toumas is partially
innocent :-)

--

Luca Ferretti <elle uca libero it>