Re: Theme suggestion: use shared libraries

Marc Ewing wrote:

> Luckily you can have both (after some work of course).  It may have
> already been said in all the discussions, but I'll state it concisely
> here.  We can have a GTK with "pluggable" drawing modules, one of which
> is the standard GTK drawing stuff, and another that uses exclusively
> pixmaps a-la Elightenment.  If someone just wants to draw a cool
> theme, they can ship a collection of pixmaps (and other stuff) to be
> used with the E-type drawing pluggin.  If someone wants to implement
> something in C to look like Win95 or whatever, they make an entirely
> new drawing module.
>
> Something like:
>
> GTK:                               [ GTK ]
>                                 /     |     \
> Drawing module:      [ E drawing ] [Win95]  [ GTK Traditional ]
>                        /   |   \
> Themes:             [A]   [B]   [B]
>
> Is there something is that plan that doesn't work?

This is the basic premise of the Swing classes (or JFC) for Java.
The UI should be totally separated from the functionality of the
widget.

It might be a good idea for anyone working/interested in the themes
to check out the JavaSoft website for more info on the Swing classes
if they aren't familiar w/ them already.

jason

--
Jason Gilbert | http://www.scott.net/~jason/ | http://www.mantissa.com/

"The total job will be in the software, and we'll be able to write big
fat programs. We can let them run somewhat inefficiently because there
will be so much horsepower that just sits there. The real focus won't
be who can cram it down in, or who can do it in machine language. It
will be on who can define the right user interface and properly
integrate the main packages." -- Bill Gates, PC Magazine 1982