Re: Theme suggestion: use shared libraries

"Geoff Harrison \(mandrake\)" <mandrake@mandrake.net> writes:
> > Enlightenment enters the picture =] I think that this is a great iudea
> > because it would address most of my conerns with enlightenment. I've done
> > a number of themes for E and the bigest deficiency I have found is the
> > complete reliznce of pixmaps. I would like to be able to insert a
> > different rendering module, and then have a specific
> > button/subwindow/widget use it to render a vector graphic. Or some other
> > method of drawing vectors rather than relying of scaled pixmaps. Hrm.
>
> Well, I can say that in the future there are planned a number of non-reliance
> on pixmap things, however there is a fairly unlimited boundary to the usage
> of pixmaps (with scaling).   More than "relying" on scaled pixmaps -- allowin
> the use of pixmaps for widgets (and masks) frees up the user to a wider selec
> tion
> of design options.   However, I am fairly certain that allowing the use of ex
> ternal
> rendering modules is also not an unappealing option.

Luckily you can have both (after some work of course).  It may have
already been said in all the discussions, but I'll state it concisely
here.  We can have a GTK with "pluggable" drawing modules, one of which
is the standard GTK drawing stuff, and another that uses exclusively
pixmaps a-la Elightenment.  If someone just wants to draw a cool
theme, they can ship a collection of pixmaps (and other stuff) to be
used with the E-type drawing pluggin.  If someone wants to implement
something in C to look like Win95 or whatever, they make an entirely
new drawing module.

Something like:

GTK:                               [ GTK ]
Drawing module:      [ E drawing ] [Win95]  [ GTK Traditional ]
                       /   |   \
Themes:             [A]   [B]   [B]

Is there something is that plan that doesn't work?

-Marc