Re: Theme suggestion: use shared libraries

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Jason Gilbert wrote:

> Marc Ewing wrote:
> >
> > Luckily you can have both (after some work of course).  It may have
> > already been said in all the discussions, but I'll state it concisely
> > here.  We can have a GTK with "pluggable" drawing modules, one of which
> > is the standard GTK drawing stuff, and another that uses exclusively
> > pixmaps a-la Elightenment.  If someone just wants to draw a cool
> > theme, they can ship a collection of pixmaps (and other stuff) to be
> > used with the E-type drawing pluggin.  If someone wants to implement
> > something in C to look like Win95 or whatever, they make an entirely
> > new drawing module.
> >
> > Something like:
> >
> > GTK:                               [ GTK ]
> >                                 /     |     \
> > Drawing module:      [ E drawing ] [Win95]  [ GTK Traditional ]
> >                        /   |   \
> > Themes:             [A]   [B]   [B]
> >
> > Is there something is that plan that doesn't work?
>
> This is the basic premise of the Swing classes (or JFC) for Java.
> The UI should be totally separated from the functionality of the
> widget.

well, what if someone decides they want buttons to blink green when
clicked, instead of looking pressed down?

i think we should allow loadable modules to replace gtk functions one by
one, instead of having entirely separate widget drawing libraries. this
way, individual changes can be made without completely rewriting all of
the drawing functions. this approach seems to work well for the linux
kernel modules.