Re: Adding origin-hostname

On 8 July 2016 at 10:01, Iain Lane <iain orangesquash org uk> wrote:
Quick question: why a hostname? I can understand that the origin you
want to show should be unique, but it doesn't seem to me to be that
meaningful for distributions, and maybe other plugins, to use a hostname
when we can do better.

In the case where you have a visible name, setting "origin_ui" is the
right thing to do. For instance, fro a random fedora package I set:

origin=fedora-updates
origin_ui=Fedora Updates
origin_hostame=fedoraproject.org

"Debian Unstable (main)" or even "Debian" seems
better than "http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian"; or "https://debian.org"; to
me.

The hostname in this case should just be debian.org -- the
set_origin_hostname() function takes care of stripping the hostame out
if you give it a random URL.

Maybe for Flatpak et al the hostname is the best thing to show, but I
don't (yet) get that it's right to make it a requirement in API terms to
be a hostname.

So, the reason we chose the hostname is that it's unfakable. You can
easily set up a repo (either per-system yum, or per-user flatpak)
called "Fedora Updates" which would make it look like the application
came from somewhere official. You can't fake the hostname like that
unless I misunderstand something.

Richard.