Re: Adding origin-hostname

On Fri, Jul 08, 2016 at 09:31:07AM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
Hi all,

I've just merged some patches to master which add API for setting the
origin-hostname
[…]

Quick question: why a hostname? I can understand that the origin you
want to show should be unique, but it doesn't seem to me to be that
meaningful for distributions, and maybe other plugins, to use a hostname
when we can do better. "Debian Unstable (main)" or even "Debian" seems
better than "http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian"; or "https://debian.org"; to
me.

Maybe for Flatpak et al the hostname is the best thing to show, but I
don't (yet) get that it's right to make it a requirement in API terms to
be a hostname.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain orangesquash org uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney debian org ]