Weekly Work Summary- Week 11

Onscreen Keyboard- Weekly Report 11

This week I've spent most of my time concentrated on getting the Gtk module in vala to show and hide the keyboard properly on the screen. At the moment, I have a properly working Gtk3 module that displays the keyboard properly when clicking on a box that supports accessibility (Atk/Gtk). Most of my time was spent trying to figure out what to use as the signal in order to notify the module once the focus has changed on the screen. Today, I also enabled the 'key-focus' signal in global that listens for focus changes in order to show/hide the keyboard depending on what the user is doing within the shell (ie. clicking into search bar shows keyboard). Besides this large project, I also handled some smaller things with regards to the keyboard, such as not showing the keyboard on start-up, sending DBus requests with timestamps to the keyboard, and rebasing Caribou master with my changes.

For the last week of my internship my goal is to have a position the windows that are below the keyboard higher up on the screen based on where the cursor is located. Right now, we can only get the location of the entry, but I think it would be much more useful for the user if we could figure out how to get the cursor location and then do any other calculations based on that. From what I understand right now, we also haven't been able to get the Caribou Gtk module fully functioning with Gtk2. I would definitely love to get that working spotlessly by the end of the week.

My internship with GNOME is over and I'm really glad I decided to do this project this summer. It's been great working with all of you guys over the past few weeks. You can find the latest batch of work at the branch newer-osk on github, but if that doesn't completely work for you (I was having a bit of trouble earlier today before doing a jhbuild) then osk is our current backup.

I'd also like to give my special thanks to Dan, Marina, Florian, and Jasper for their help over these past few months; you guys are awesome :).

Cheers,

Nohemi Fernandez