Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox: Improved Last.fm Plugin - Weekly Report 1

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 12:15 +0100, Jamie Nicol wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 22:45 +0200, Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
> > about that, please check for the "[Rhythmbox-devel] Updating to the new
> > last.fm API" thread in the archives of the mailing list. As my first
> > mail seems to have disappeared before it was sent by my mailer, I wanted
> > to restate that embedding a web interface in a desktop application for
> > something like this just doesn't feel right and I would rather stop
> > using Last.fm plugin altogether that to have to endure the pain of such
> > integration.
> >

> After experimenting with both options, I feel I agree with you. There
> are pros and cons to both. By embedding the browser there is no chance
> of the user not seeing the page being opened, which is good. But it
> leads to an awful mess. The user can then navigate to other pages from
> within rhythmbox, which just doesn't seem right.

You can block those, or rework the stylesheets to do that. A lot of
applications use this model, such as Twitterific on iDevices, or even
the facebook apps on the same devices (and I guess on Android as well).

> So unless anybody else feels this is a mistake, I'm going to make it
> open in an external web browser. I'll listen to any arguments anyone has
> about this, and I'm open to persuasion, but currently I feel this is the
> better option.

As I mentioned, it probably makes the workflow better to open it
embedded inside Rhythmbox, and that's a workflow that would probably be
useful for other sources as well.

Cheers