First steps

Dear students,

We know how hard it is to start, if you are totally new to the GNOME
project.  Probably, it will need some time until you are able to
really do some productive stuff but once youre in... ;)

I tried to summarize some things, which helped me to get into, some
tutorials, some informations, ...

Lets start with

Oh.. I am lost...

No problem! I have a book for you: The official GNOME 2 developers
guide. Actually, the book is a bit outdated, but still works most of the
time. It gives a very nice introduction of how a gnome application is
built. The author gave me the permission (anyway its licenced under a cc
licence) to put it on my webserver.

http://home.cs.tum.edu/~siegel/files/tog2dg.pdf

Of course you could buy it on Amazon too...

I am still lost and i do not know how that function is called

No problem! GNOME has a fully documentated API.
Either install devhelp or point your browser to

http://library.gnome.org/devel/references

And maybe you can find the holy grail there too.

Why do you have objects in c???

Thats another awesome story ;) Either you want to read the book I
mentioned above or the background about GObject

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gobject/stable/pt01.html

or an awesome tutorial

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gobject/stable/pt02.html

Now.. How do i build my code?

We use autotools in GNOME. In my opinion, it is really hard to
understand it, and if you want to, read this

http://vindaci.members.sonic.net/cbreak/projects/autotools/index.php3

of course, to build your project, you can just do:

./autogen.sh --prefix=/somewhere/on/your/disk && make && make install

Or... How do i build the other gnome applications?

Some of you may asked yourself, how a GNOME developer actually works on
GNOME: does he compile everything by himself, are there unstable
packages.. Well, just take a look at jhbuild. jhbuild can compile and
run every GNOME application, without interfering with your stable,
installed system and software

http://library.gnome.org/devel/jhbuild/unstable/

So.. I finished coding, what should I do now?
http://live.gnome.org/Git/Developers

Do I have to tell you more?

Git

Ok.. you may want to get the latest development code or submit your own
patch by using git (if you have a git account), or create a branch
and let your mentor branch the code

http://live.gnome.org/Git

I am bored now

There are many other gnome/gtk related tutorials available here:

http://library.gnome.org/devel/guides
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/

Do you have any further question? Don't be afraid to ask, we are here
to help! ;)

daniel
--
this mail was sent using 100% recycled electrons
daniel g. siegel <dgsiegel gmail com>