Re: [weekly report] week 9: Pulse

On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 11:49 -0400, Adam Schreiber wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Florian Ludwig<dino phidev org>
> wrote:
> > this week the first bunch of my first patches has been merged into
> > Shauns / the official repository! Shaun reviewed the patches and we
> > discussed them. Also a lot about discussed the general direction
> Pulse
> > is heading and some fundamental refactoring. One first simple
> > incremental step I'm implementing right now.
>
> Could you please expand on this a little as to future direction and
> that step?

Of course. As its all "work and planing in progress" I CC'ed Shaun and
hope he corrects and comments those things he disagrees with :) There
are actually two things going on:

1.  If you look at the world Pulse tries to model:

http://static.ludwigf.org/blog/linked_data5.png

All the ellipses seen there are modeled some way in Pulse but the big
rectangle in the middle is not. Pulse does save every data related to
branches. As an example that might technically correct to save nearly
all data branch-bound but does not model the way most people think:
every branch provides its own doap file. They might provide different
links for the homepage of a project so homepage links are branch-bound.
But I'm sure most people don't think this way.

For my work gsoc work with Pulse this good as it simplifies the
relationship between bugs, projects, branches and distribution packages.

2. The modularization
This is something Shaun started before I even heard about Pulse. His
branch for this is called "applications" and I decided early on to base
my work on this branch instead of the mainline. I hope I contributed
some useful to this branch as well ;) So modularization of Pulse web app
is already on the way but Shaun suggested to go even further to ease
development of other frontends.

greetings,
--
Florian Ludwig <dino phidev org>