F-Spot sidebar improvements: Week 3 Report

Hi all!

 [ For information about my GSoC project, fast-forward to the bottom ]

This week's report is very similar to the previous one, not much done
due to my exams. Still planning on making up for that afterwards. Got a
big exam on Friday, keep your thumbs up cause it's going to be nasty.

This week I hacked a bit on the design of the sidebar, laying the
foundations for intelligent switching based on the application context.
I also added a new sidebar page "Edit", which is currently empty. The
editor tools should move there. This code, a patch of 1360 lines (670
additions, 493 deletions) is not committed yet, as it doesn't add useful
functionality *yet*.

I started investigating how I would abstract the editing tools, by
looking at the current code. There seem to be a number of completely
different ways in which it is currently handled, which means it will be
quite difficult. However, this common abstraction is needed to port all
this code into the plugin architecture.

After Friday, things start to cool down (only two project defenses left,
but they don't require much preparation), so I can restart my GSoC work.
Can't wait!

Have a nice week,
   Ruben

About the project:

I will be working on F-Spot and concentrate on the sidebar, editing
tools and other usability work.

http://weblog.savanne.be/tags/summerofcode
http://code.google.com/soc/2008/gnome/appinfo.html?csaid=1EF7F7EDFE7E57BE

--