Re: Reporting Progress

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 08:13 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le dimanche 01 juin 2008, à 23:00 -0700, James Liggett a écrit :
> > On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 07:54 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > > Actually, that's wrong :-) We do want students to send weekly reports to
> > > this list. Note that we encourage you to blog about progress, but the
> > > weekly mail is still required (a copy & paste will work for the lazy
> > > people).
> > When do you want us to start doing these?
>
> When the coding officially starts. Oops, that means last week :-) Well,
> actually, this means that the first report is supposed to be due
> today.
Well, ok, thanks for the heads up. Just to be safe, I'll just tell you
what I told anjuta-devel about 3 days ago:

I'm ~2/3 done with my git plugin for Anjuta. I've finished with these
items from my proposal:

- Plugin stub
- Implement AnjutaSyncCommand
- Implement GitCommand
- Log UI
- Showing diffs of commits
- Diffing uncommitted changes
- Creating branches and tags (both at head and at a revision with the
log UI)
- Reverting commits, at any revision or the last commit
- Resolving conflicts
- Committing changes
- Adding files
- Removing files
- Branch switching
- Merging
- Fetching
- Rebasing

What's left to do:

- Pulling
- Remote branch handling
- Ignoring files
- Log filtering
- Bisecting
- Getting arbitrary revisions of files.
- Generating patch series

At the current rate that I'm working, I expect to be done with the
proposal by late this month or early next month, and depending on how
testing goes I could have this in Anjuta trunk by about the same time.
Today I talked with my mentors and it is possible that this could be
ready in time for Anjuta 2.6.

Also keep in mind that because I started early and worked on things out
of order, the timetable in my proposal isn't anywhere near accurate
anymore. I will update it in the next day or so.

If you'd like to track my progress, I have set up a git mirror of
Anjuta's SVN where I keep my code at
http://repo.or.cz/w/anjuta-git-plugin.git

The web interface supports RSS so that you can track it as you would a
blog. And if you'd like to try it out, you can get a copy by installing
git and running:

git clone git://repo.or.cz/anjuta-git-plugin.git

This is a full copy of Anjuta, so build it as normal; the git plugin
does not introduce any new dependencies, so if you can already build
Anjuta from trunk you should be fine.

I especially need people to test this with different git versions to see
how it works for them. On my Ubuntu Hardy box, with git 1.5.4.3,
everything works fine. If you encounter problems please post to bugzilla
bug 529270.

Thanks,
James Liggett