Progress Report - randr 1.2 for Gnome - Pascal Schoenhardt

Hi everyone,

My progress this week has been a little bit hindered by the fact that
my girlfriend has finished university, so there was much celebration.
To add to that, I got sick on the weekend, and am only now recovering.
This will be a much shorter progress report than the last one, I
believe.
I have been discussing with my mentor what changes should be made to
gdkscreen. How will we present the new features of randr1.2 through
gtk? Should everything be made available through gtk, or should
applications interact with xrandr directly? Things like that. No
decisions have been made yet, as we are both still researching. I have
been reading up on what API's Windows provides. I will be looking into
OS X, too. I have also been reading over the randr header files and
the gdkscreen-x11.c file, to see how things could fit together.

The other thing I have done is switch to the nouveau driver. It kind
of sucks that graphics operations are quite slow now. Dragging windows
is choppy, and I can't use GL apps, but I guess that's the price I
must pay. I am quite impressed by by nouveau, however. Their wiki says
that only glxgears runs at the moment. However, I was able to use each
and every one of the GL screensavers included in Feisty! They ran like
a slideshow, but rendered perfectly! Great progress nouveau team!

Unfortunately, randr 1.2 does not seem to be working on my card yet...
My main output is detected as "default" rather than "LVDS", and my VGA
port and S-Video port on my laptop are not detected at all. I am
posting my findings and problems to the nouveau mailing list, however,
so hopefully someone will help me resolve this soon.

That's it for now. Hopefully, I will get a bit more done this week!
Sorry my report is late...

Pascal