Re: soc report for photobooth-like application for the GNOME-desktop (cheese)

On Mo, 2007-05-07 at 12:52 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le lundi 07 mai 2007, à 12:07 +0200, daniel g. siegel a écrit :
> > hi there!
> >
> > nobody has sent his report until now to the list, so im proud to be the
> > first ;)
>
> Congratulations! Now we can start making fun of all the other SoC
> participants who might be late :-)

to quote some simpson-guy: "haha"! ;)

> > ==done==
> > i already have started programming a while ago. i have reused raphaels
> > gui and started from scratch. for now i have a program, which can take
> > pictures from the webcam, save them, and reload them. see a screenshot
> > from today here [1] (and im looking like this, because there were too
> > many parties last week..). following libraries were used:
> > - gstreamer to get a picture off the webcam and to display it
> > - glade to load the ui
> > - gnome-vfs to load and save files
> > - gdk-pixbuf to encode to jpeg/png-format
> >
> > i also have a darcs repository, where you can check out my code. simply
> > do a darcs get http://home.cs.tum.edu/~siegel/dev/cheese
> > if you dont have darcs, you can browse the code with your favourite
> > browser. go to [2].
>
> Looks great!

well im not fully satisfied with the gui.. if anyone has some cool
ideas..?

> Just a small note for other students: Daniel already started coding
> because he'll be a bit busy in June with exams (IIRC). So don't worry if
> you have the impression you're late when you read Daniel's report:
> there's really no reason to worry.

not fully correct: im busy in end of mai and end of july.

> > ==will be done==
> > the next step will be to objectify code with gobject. im right into
> > reading me in. after that, i will integrate some of the effects, which
> > gstreamer offers me.
> >
> > ==problems i ran into==
> > well, they were all of the same kind. the gnome-apis provide a superb
> > api-description, but if you never worked with a certain library or with
> > a part of the library, you have to take a gnome-program and look into
> > the source. there you have to watch out for the right function and how
> > it works and so on. its tedious, so if you if it is the case, that you
> > are having a lot of free time, please write some examples or tutorials
> > (yes, i know gtk-demo already ;) )
>
> Maybe that's something you could contribute in the future? :-)

well... ;) if im having a lot of free time, no girlfriend, no university
and my guitar is cracked.. yeah i think then i could do such a thing ;)

> > ==my mentor==
> > my mentor is raphael slinckx and he just rocks (raf, i dont care that
> > _you_ are reading this ;) and sorry, that i cant print the "e"-character
> > with two points). he helps me a lot and is around, when i need some tips
> > and hints. so, dear soc-admins, if you want, that i have a nice summer,
> > please dont change my mentor.
>
> Raphaël is sitting next to me right now, and he's just sitting there
> doing nothing. No, really, he doesn't rock that much. And he's just
> eating some weird stuff in spanish restaurants. Now, please excuse me: I
> need to start running before he sees this mail ;-)

you know, that stage in the university-life is called "writing the
thesis". this includes a lot of sleeping, making party and
eating/drinking strange things. see it as the peak-time of the student,
where he repeats his student-existence in 6 weeks ;)

> > ==open questions==
> > i have some questions, which could also be interestinge for the other
> > students. it would be nice, if you could answer them.
> >
> > - what about the release period? eric raymond says "release early,
> >   release often". now, should i make releases or is an open accessible
> >   repository enough?
>
> I believe it'd be a good idea to do some releases. Maybe one every two
> or three weeks?

fine. where should i put the releases? is my own homepage fine for you?

> > - what about patches? may i integrate patches from other developers? i
> >   mean, in the soc-program, i should create the application, not anybody
> >   else. (did not happen yet, only to know)
>
> If the patches are small patches, then I'd say it's okay. The important
> part is that you do the big and difficult parts. Having some small
> contributions sound okay to me.

sounds reasonable.

> > - what about the build system? i know, autotools is the defacto
> >   standard, but do you force me to use autotools? (well, there isnt
> >   anything else around)
>
> Autotools is pretty much the standard, so yes, you should really use it.
> It's not fun, but you only have to do it once.
argh..

--
this mail was sent using 100% recycled electrons
daniel g. siegel <dgsiegel gmail com>