soc report for photobooth-like application for the GNOME-desktop (cheese)

hi there!

nobody has sent his report until now to the list, so im proud to be the
first ;)

==done==
i already have started programming a while ago. i have reused raphaels
gui and started from scratch. for now i have a program, which can take
pictures from the webcam, save them, and reload them. see a screenshot
from today here [1] (and im looking like this, because there were too
many parties last week..). following libraries were used:
- gstreamer to get a picture off the webcam and to display it
- glade to load the ui
- gnome-vfs to load and save files
- gdk-pixbuf to encode to jpeg/png-format

i also have a darcs repository, where you can check out my code. simply
do a darcs get http://home.cs.tum.edu/~siegel/dev/cheese
if you dont have darcs, you can browse the code with your favourite
browser. go to [2].

==will be done==
the next step will be to objectify code with gobject. im right into
reading me in. after that, i will integrate some of the effects, which
gstreamer offers me.

==problems i ran into==
well, they were all of the same kind. the gnome-apis provide a superb
api-description, but if you never worked with a certain library or with
a part of the library, you have to take a gnome-program and look into
the source. there you have to watch out for the right function and how
it works and so on. its tedious, so if you if it is the case, that you
are having a lot of free time, please write some examples or tutorials
(yes, i know gtk-demo already ;) )

==my mentor==
my mentor is raphael slinckx and he just rocks (raf, i dont care that
_you_ are reading this ;) and sorry, that i cant print the "e"-character
with two points). he helps me a lot and is around, when i need some tips
and hints. so, dear soc-admins, if you want, that i have a nice summer,
please dont change my mentor.

==open questions==
i have some questions, which could also be interestinge for the other
students. it would be nice, if you could answer them.

- what about the release period? eric raymond says "release early,
  release often". now, should i make releases or is an open accessible
  repository enough?

- what about patches? may i integrate patches from other developers? i
  mean, in the soc-program, i should create the application, not anybody
  else. (did not happen yet, only to know)

- what about the build system? i know, autotools is the defacto
  standard, but do you force me to use autotools? (well, there isnt
  anything else around)

ehm.. did i forget something??

best regards, daniel

[1]: http://home.cs.tum.edu/~siegel/files/cheese2.jpg
[2]: http://home.cs.tum.edu/~siegel/dev/?repo=cheese

--
this mail was sent using 100% recycled electrons
daniel g. siegel <dgsiegel gmail com>