SoC-Status 2007/07/02

http://taschenorakel.de/mathias/2007/07/02/soc-status-20070702/

Last week I wanted to implement something to show, so I started on
baseline alignment. First lesson I've learned: The original idea, of
just changing the vertical position of the widgets turned out to be
thought too simple. Instead of applying the baseline adjustments from
the outside by tweaking the widgets GtkAllocation, I have to tell the
widgets which offset they should apply to their baselines to produce a
proper offset. This was easy to implement for GtkLabel - despite all
xalign and xscale hacks in that widget. What bloat we have in GTK+, that
a simple label widget has to consume more than 4500 lines of code!? On
propagating those baseline offsets through simple GtkBin, especially
GtkAlignment widgets I've cut my teeth. So I dedided to take a break
from baseline alignment and implement natural sizing. Results of my
efforts can be watched in the screencast[1]. Well, or in the
extented-layout branch [2] of GTK+.

Ciao,
Mathias

[1] http://taschenorakel.de/media/movies/soc-status-20070702.ogg
[2] http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/gtk%2B/branches/extended-layout/
--
Mathias Hasselmann <mathias taschenorakel de>
http://taschenorakel.de/