Re: Status report 'Refactoring Deskbar-Applet' 06.08.2007

Hi,

Le lundi 06 août 2007, à 14:30 +0200, Sebastian Pölsterl a écrit :
> Blog post at http://www.k-d-w.org/node/23
> - --
> My last two reports contained no news, but since university is over I
> spend a lot of time on Deskbar-Applet. Most notable I added actions. We
> now have modules, matches and actions. Modules produce matches and
> matches have actions. This way a match can have more actions, e.g. open
> url in browser and copy url to clipboard. If a match has more than one
> action you will see a list of actions after you selected the match. If
> it doesn't Deskbar-Applet will behave like it did without actions. You
> can see how it works in this movie[1]. Currently, the matches don't
> include revolutionary actions. That's your opportunity to come up with
> those revolutionary actions and tell me about it. Furthermore, I'm going
> to update my guide on how to write modules for Deskbar-Applet soon.
>
> In addition, I updated the preferences dialog to reflect the latest
> changes on the GConf schema. Because everyone likes movies I made
> another one[2].
>
> Finally, Raphael encouraged me to make a late 2.19.6 release. So
> download it, test it, report bugs and fix them.
> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/deskbar-applet/2.19/

I'm a bit worried that the current deskbar-applet look is so different
from previous deskbar-applet. And I didn't realize until today that the
2.19.x version is now what you're hacking on :-)

May I suggest that the priority should be the UI now, since the GNOME
development cycle has some freezes (we're feature frozen, and UI freeze
is happening soon)?

I can open a few bugs if it helps you, but at very first sight, I find
it weird that:

 + when you click on the applet, you get a window with a menubar (and
   Quit!)
 + when you click the first time, you get a window which looks a bit,
   well, ugly. It's better when it's filled with results
 + the way actions are displayed makes it hard to use them without
   resizing the window

Thanks,

Vincent

--