[gnome-slackware]Compiling Gnome on Slackware

Hi all,

I see some folks have problems compiling GNOME on Slackware, that suprises
me somewhat.
I had only one problem and I guess it was not distribution specific -
there's something wrong with libtool/autoconf or whatever (don't remember
exactly): for some reason it makes programs link redundantly increasing the
compilation times badly. It gets real nasty with big stuff on a slow machine
like my old P233/96MB notebook. The problem is well known but still not
solved:((
As for Slackware - everything is rock-solid and compiles flawlessly.
Anyway here's what I did:
- installed GNOME from Slackware 8.0
- Karsten Reincke has written an excellent tutorial on compiling GNOME 1.4
and 2.0 (didn't try that one yet) www.karubik.de it contains links to the
latest versions of all the libraries and programs you will need and tricks
related; I just didn't remove the Slackware packages, since a lot of them
are still current, instead I simply installed the new ones on top.
- I just compiled and installed GNOME stuff with prefix /opt/gnome and that
was it most of times. Really straight-forward and boring:))

- Watch out for shared libraries like libxml/libxslt, I guess they should be
installed somewhere else.
- I couldn't (actually didn't:)) figure out the way Mozilla was originally
built in Slackware, so I just put it into /usr/local/mozilla, don't know if
it's wrong or not.

I want to point out that I did this not for the sake of upgrade, just wanted
to take a look at Evolution which  always depends on the most current GNOME
libraries.

It would certainly be nice to see latest GNOME stuff in Slackware-Current.

Boris