Re: [gnome-slackware]Why don't use RPM for our Work ?

On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 10:15, Blackguard666 wrote:
> SO :
> - Why do not use RPM format for mark the difference between Slackware Package
> and Personnal Package (Slackware 8 have RPM v4).

Well, if you want to, you could use redhat as well.

> - And why not do a web site with the result of our work (with a DB for
> example).

I think Robert Stan and Igor Popik already did.

> It's just an idea. We can do a cooperative work with that. We can win some
> precious time to NOT 'remake the wheel'. And if the pacakage do not work, a
> simple command 'rpm -e' can deinstall cleannly the package whithout any
> additionals commands (for deleting empty directories for example).

Well, cooperative work is the way to go.
I really don't see the point of having 2 times the same gnome version on
a box...

My opinion was I lots of people came to #gnome on irc and asked help for
compilation troubles on slackware. As it is not really a wide spread
distribution, there's no real help. So I discuss a bit and it seemed a
good idea to setup this mailing list and do slackware package on gnome
as people often looks on gnome ftp for gnome packages.

I'm waiting a ftp access in order to upload the packages. After that, I
have to agree on the way to build the packages with igor and robert as
they already have experience in this area.

My whished goal is to setup up to date gnome2 packages in the ftp, and
build them in respect of Pat's usual way to proceed.
(ie, /opt/gnome for gnome1.4 and /opt/gnome2 for gnome2 as gnome2 will
not make gnome 1.4 out of date)

MCArkan

--
Xavier Ordoquy
 "Complexity has nothing to do with intelligence.