Gnome Standards

OK, I've been monitoring the GNOME packages popping up on
linuxpackages.net, and the time has come to standardize the packages.
Install one GNOME package, and you screw up 3 others. LinuxSalute.com
has tried this...but the compatibility with Slackware 8.0 (installs in
/usr/local and package format is name-version-pak.tgz) is not very
efficient. We need to devise a stradegy to build the current GNOME
packages by hand (with build scripts) and choose a "testing" ftp to
stick them. Once they have been tested a while, they can be put in the
slackware-current ftp where Pat can make final changes. I believe this
would be the best way to handle it and still retain the Slackware ideal
of stability.

Just to throw out ideas--if this plan could work out wouldn't it be
fairly simple to devise internal dependency checking for GNOME packages?
This could catch the eyes of Ximian developers and...
(NOTE: This is VERY unlikely.)

-Jeff