Re: GNOME Shell and system extensions being part of a mode

I want to propose some thoughts and potential rework around system extensions which are part of a mode towards update & QA process.

My proposal would be:
* Do not propose updating system extensions being part of a mode if his mode is the current one.
* If a there is an installed system extension and a local user one, but this extension is part of the current mode, only load the system extension code. This prevents people going to another session, being prompted to update the extension and doing so knowingly or not, and be back in an unsupported use case. The session mode will only run code that it knows about.

I think this is a good idea.
Session mode extensions by design should not be local because session mode files can not be local (https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell/tree/js/ui/sessionMode.js#n136).

* This means reworking slightly the logic of the DBUS interface so that 3rd party apps (Tweaks) or browser extension, shows up the correct status (extensions enabled/disabled, separated by updatable status or not, separated from error status, system or local user extensions). This would mean potentially changing and break the DBUS API, apdating -prefs and LG (easy same repo), Tweaks and browser extensions. Would that be acceptable? I can as well work on making it backward compatible and exposing a V2 api on the bus.

D-Bus API (provided by plugin/extension to website) is versioned (despite the fact that last plugin API change was introduced without version increase...) so we can make changes backward compatible by introducing new Shell D-Bus methods and using them in plugin/extension.

I'm happy to have a deeper look and work on this if the global approach has general conscensus. Happy as well to discuss any other thoughts/ideas fullfilling those requirements.

Thanks,
Didier