Re: The Gnome problem with btrfs

Dear Leslie,

What I cannot do is re-install an earlier Fedora release for testing, as they were on 3.24.
that's exactly the reason on why to install the elder release: to rule out, that your machine is part of the problem. You might rightfully object here, that ext4 works fine for you on the very same machine, but then one can argue, that is stresses the system differently. Thus, if you can reproduce the problem with the elder version, then we know that the triple (machine, elder kernel, gnome-3.24) is also vulnerable.

Why I am using Fedora 27 is,  I suppose noble.  What I am testing is the proposed "GO-Live" of Fedora 27, scheduled for October 31st.  I try to assist the Fedora team to produce a clean product.
That a noble cause indeed. But in that case, you should really try a different distribution to check if you can reproduce the issue there, too. Thus, the Fedora people know if it's a problem only within Fedora or a general problem.

My testing with ext4 and xfs for the identical Fedora ISO and software installation is CLEAN-- No aborts at all--clean. The ext4 version is the one I will be installing.

As you mentioned, I can eliminate some extensions, but then for me, Gnome then becomes somewhat tedious to use. Vanilla Gnome is rich in functionality, but not where or how I like to use it.

That's a fair point. But reproducing the problem is a lot easier, if you find the minimal set of building blocks, that reproduces it - say: gnome-3.26 vanilla + btrfs + this extension.
See, I'm running gnome-3.26 on btrfs myself plus at least half of the extensions you are using and it works fine for me. That's why it would be great to find the one extension, which is causing problems for you.

You might as well try "Antergos", the ArchLinux variant I'm using, enable the "testing" repositories and see if it has the same issues as Fedora on your machine.

By the way, I do a fair amount of C programming and writing.  I recommend installing "TaskBar by zpydr" as the Gnome extension I would not want to live without. I have used TaskBar since Gnome 3.22.
Is there any version compatible with later GNOME versions? The latest version seems to be 3.8.

An aside, I am a "he" Leslie, not a "she" Leslie, though it is irrelevant to this issue.
I didn't imply any gender, did I? If so, than I'm sorry.

Kind regards,
Olaf