Re: Fw: Gnome extensions

I also have not seen any issues like this, and have been using btrfs with GNOME
for atleast a couple of years, on Ubuntu and Gentoo.

On Fri, 2017-10-06 at 01:46 +0000, Leslie S Satenstein via gnome-shell-list
wrote:
Do not (as 5 October) use Gnome with btrfs.  You can experience gnome-shell
looping with 99% cpu busy,  schemas not being adhered to, and problems because
btrfs uses copy-on-write.  I have 5 copies of Gnome 3.26 with ext4, brtfs
fully, btrrs with xfs for /home  and more. I can substantiate the btrfs
problem. Like any scientific experiment, you can duplicate my findings.

Gnome is safe with  a non "copy on write" file system.

Regards

 Leslie
Leslie Satenstein
Montréal Québec, Canada

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Leslie S Satenstein via gnome-shell-list <gnome-shell-list gnome org>
To: Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org>; Gnome-shell-list <gnome-shell-list@
gnome.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 6:16 PM
Subject: Gnome extensions

Hi Florian

I'm using a few of your Gnome extensions.  I thank you for providing them to
the community.

I do have a question for you regarding the gnome-shell.

I have extensions (several that include yours), where the installation (doing
the settings) onto a btrfs file system crashes the shell, or causes the shell
to go into a 99.9% cpu loop.  If I install these extensions onto a non btrfs
system, eg, ext4, lvm, xfs ,   the installation and extension setup works
flawlessly.

I use most of your extensions, that come globally with Fedora Linux (currently
using the Fedora beta 1.5, the pending go-live beta). I am using it fully with
btrfs.  I can crash the shell with one or two extensions, only if the
underlying file system is btrfs

As the gnome-shell gets maintenance updates, I am see fewer and fewer crashes,
but not with btrfs. The crashes only occur during parameter setup. It seems
that the gnome-shell does not wrongly read the compiled schema or ignores the
compiled schema.  Have you stress tested Gnome-shell under btrfs?

My preferred third party extension that works perfectly with ext4 and xfs is
TaskBar by Zpydr. I am walking through the source code and with my level of JS
knowledge, find no errors. Setting TaskBar up onto a btrfs system crashes the
shell, but on logging in after a crash, I see settings outside of the schema
settings.  After a few crashes, when the settings are what I wanted, every
extension works as anticipated.  By the way, I am not the author of this
extension.  The author appears to have abandoned his offering.  What is his
extension and one or two others exercising that cause this grief.

 I am wondering if recompiling the schemas while under btrfs would make a
difference. I will give it a try.

https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-shell-list