Re: Extensions requiring metadata update for 3.24

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 8:24 PM Jason DeRose <list derose io> wrote:
Ok, I see. It seems the behavior I read about was specifically patched
into Fedora 25

No, it's an upstream change:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell/commit?id=5e0e3edc7be44c9

However the setting applies to whether installed extensions that are out-of-date should be loaded by gnome-shell, nothing else. That is, you can now update to a new GNOME version without losing your existing extensions.

(Regarding extension installation, we are in a transition where we want to discourage the use of the website for installation/management in favor of the extension support in GNOME Software, but unfortunately the latter isn't quite up to par yet and therefore got delayed to the next development cycle)

-- Florian