Extensions requiring metadata update for 3.24

I thought that I read not long ago that as the core gnome-shell
components have been pretty stable, that gnome would no longer require
explicit update to metadata.json version list of each extension to
function when a new version of gnome-shell has been released. But, in
3.24, existing extensions supporting 3.22 are unable to be installed and
do not appear as compatible with current versions on
extensions.gnome.org.

Am I missing something?