Re: Sound for notification?

Hi Onyeibo,

which theme have you installed?
I tried some but nothing.
If I send a notification with this command

notify-send  "SUMMARY" "BODY"

I get no sound!
I'm still looking for a workaround!
I think that it's a terrible limitation of gnome-shell, that I love for the rest...

TIA

Donato

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 4:39 AM, Onyeibo Oku <twohotis gmail com> wrote:

On Mon, 2015-11-30 at 18:54 +0100, Donato Marrazzo wrote:
I see...
And what about to handle a default sound? When the application does not specify it?
Thank you

I suppose that depends on the sound-theme.  If the active sound-theme provides audio for generic notifications, you should hear one.
I get audible notifications for incoming mails, alerts etc.  but that is because I have a sound-theme that provides those.

We were enthusiastic about packaging comprehensive themes for fedora but that adventure was dampened by the realities of life (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Sound)

Regards
Onyeibo (twohot)

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 5:38 PM, Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Donato Marrazzo
> I cannot hear any sound when a notification appear.
> Is it working as designed?

Yes. The freedesktop notification spec has optional hints to specify a
sound when the notification is displayed[0]. We support those hints,
so if a sound is specified, and sounds are not disabled for that
particular application in notification settings, we play the sound -
if either of those is not the case, then there won't be a sound (most
likely the former - in my experience, there are very few apps that do
specify a sound with notifications).